Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:20:23 -0500
From:      Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Config Question--named.conf file

My primary reference is the "DNS and BIND" from
O'Reilly.  My secondary reference is "The Complete
FreeBSD"

IP#'s and so forth are fake.  I have yet to go
back and shorten the db files, but I'll do that after I
get your opinions.  I also want to make sure that I
don't allow zone transfers.

Here is my named.conf file:
===============

// $Id: named.conf,v 1.5 1998/12/23 06:06:13 dillon Exp $
//
// Refer to the named(8) man page for details.  If you are ever going
// to setup a primary server, make sure you've understood the hairy
// details of how DNS is working.  Even with simple mistakes, you can
// break connectivity for affected parties, or cause huge amount of
// useless Internet traffic.
options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";
	recusrion no;
	fetch-glue no;
};
zone "example.com" in {
	type master;
	file "db.example";
	notify no;
	allow-transfer { 149.7.13.3; };
};
zone "13.7.149.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type master;
	file "db.149.7.13";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
	type master;
	file "db.127.0.0";
};
zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "db.cache";
};
// NOTE!!! FreeBSD runs bind in a sandbox (see named_flags in rc.conf).
// The directory containing the secondary zones must be write accessible
// to bind.  The following sequence is suggested:
//
//	mkdir /etc/namedb/s
//	chown bind.bind /etc/namedb/s
//	chmod 750 /etc/namedb/s