Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:38:22 -0500
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@compgeek.com>
To:        "Adam Weinberger" <monkey@crackula.com>, "Margie W" <walemom@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Least Painful Upgrade Path

> if you DID put your stuff under /usr/local/www/data then you
> will have to backup your data, but again the httpd.conf should
> remain undamaged. no reason not to back it up though ::)

Although you should always back up your data before any upgrade, the above
is only true if you put your stuff in /usr/local/www/data with it still
symlinked to /usr/local/www/data.default (data -> data.default).  Some of
the ports assumed that the data.default directory was free to remove -- if
data was still symlinked then you were out of luck.  What I have always done
has been to remove the symlink and recreate the data directory as a real
directory.  This method has never caused me any problems since FreeBSD 4.2
w/ Apache 1.3.12 through FreeBSD 4.6 w/ Apache 2.0.39.

Jon