Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:15:13 +0200 (DST)
From:      Rune Mossige <Rune.Mossige@waii.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq 5120, internel ethernet card?

I have now tried to get this machine installed, but failed, on and off
for the last few days.

This machine do not have a CD-drive, so I wanted to install it over NFS
over the net.

I am not able to get the internal ethernet to work. It is detected as
'lnc1' during initial boot (Compaq bios reports it as an AMD PCI ethernet
card). No matter what I do, there is no response from the network. I do
not see any errors, either...When I configure the card, and the install is
about to issue 'add net default: gateway x.x.x.x' I see the 'Link' light
go green on the HUB it is connected to, so I assume something is
working...HUB and cables are verified to work OK, by testing them on other
equipment.

Failing to get the builtin ethernet to work, I inserted a standard 3C509B
card in it, disabled PNP, and set the card to IRQ 10 and I/O 300. This
card, with the same identical settings, was used to install another PC
with FreeBSD 2.2.7 over NFS during the weekend, so the card should
work....However, I get the exact same symptoms as when using the internal
ethernet card. No errors, but never completes the 'add net default:
gateway x.x.x.x' command, and Link light goes active.

The internal PCI network card is disabled in bios, so should not step in
the way.

As far as I can see, there are no IRQ conflicts. Now I'm lost. Is it
supposed to be so difficult to install a Compaq?

I do not want to use the -CURRENT tree, as I want this machine to be a
'sit in the corner, be nice, convert Xwindows dumps to postscript, and
print them' box.

Our ultimate goal is to make overloaded machines appear to be idle.
Rune Mossige, Systems Support, Western Geophysical, Stavanger, Norway
Tel: (+47)51598922    Fax:(+47)51598999
Priv:(+47)51424771 Mobile:(+47)90871024