Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:49:05 +0200
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <reichmuth@web.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unicode support

Hello Questions crew,

 I am wondering how far we have got with Unicode support under
 FreeBSD; i.e. can I use Unicode (UTF8) as input encoding as an
 alternative  to, say, the various ISO 8859-x variants, on the
 following levels in the system:

 - Filesystem (Does FFS support UTF8? The only necessity, in theory,
 for UTF8 support in the filesystem is that it allows for every
 character except NULL to occur in filenames. I'm no FFS expert,
 though.)

 - System console (Does the system console support UTF8 screen output
 and/or keystroke conversion? Is UTF8 available as an input encoding
 on the console? Can I use unicode-based locales?)

 - X Windows (Can I use an unicode xterm, even when the system console
 does NOT support unicode?)

Thanks in advance
 Philipp                          mailto:reichmuth@web.de