Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:33:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <jan.grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Real-time command history sharing between interactive shells

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:

> I want to be able to define groups of interactive
> shells (preferably even across different users)
> so they have one single shared command history.
> Any command executed in one of them should be
> available through all history mechanisms in the
> other ones.
>
> I imagine some ways to do it in tcsh. I'm sure
> many users would like this kind of functionality,
> maybe some of them have already implemented it?

zsh is a pretty good interactive shell (it finally weaned me off tcsh),
as well as supporting a full range of redirection and control
constructs. You should look at that, in particular the
	set -o sharehistory
option (which does half of what you're after).

Combine this with a shared .history file and you should get the effect
you're after.

--
jan grant, ISYS, University of Bristol. http://www.bris.ac.uk/
Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/