Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:34:53 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>, "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS defragmenter and/or partition resizer?  (Wishful  thinking?)

On Tuesday,  8 December 1998 at 23:52:33 -0500, Matt Behrens wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Mark S. Reichman wrote:
>
>> I can only relay what I have read on previous posts on
>> this topic and a little from OS class awhile back.
>> Defragmentation is a FAT16/32 problem.  Unix, from what I
>> have heard and been taught,
>> does not suffer from or need a defragmentor.
>
> Yeah, I just read up on that too.  (Must research before posting.)

Well, it would be nice to say that UFS doesn't need defragmentation,
but it's not quite true.  In practice, though, it's much less of a
problem than with Microsoft.  And unfortunately we currently don't
have a defragmenter.

>> I just read the other day that under UFS you cannot
>> resize a partition.  Your supposed to get it right
>> the first time out.  If ya need more space, then you
>> have to make a new partition and mount it.
>> Now... whether or not thats because
>> no tool has been written to do it or for some reason
>> its impossible under UFS, I dont know.
>
> I also read up on this.  Looks like there used to be a NetBSD
> program called "fsresize".  Apparently it had a bug or two.  The
> link's dead nowadays.  Does anyone know about its whereabouts?

It is possible to increase the size of a UFS file system, but not to
reduce it.  We currently don't have a tool for this, either, but I'm
planning to look at it Real Soon Now.

Greg