Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 18:37:12 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@tgci.com>
To:        "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Passwords messed up during botched "upgrade"

Should have mentioned I tried that.  Didn't work at all.  I restored
not only the master.passwd but pwd.db.  After that I restored the
entire /etc.

 I did do a new sysinstall upgrade using the boot floppy.  Got
everything except the sources and it worked ok but  it was
using the old kernel.  To build a new one I decide to get the new
sources using postconfigure in sysinstall--just the sources--and
after a short time lost all passwords again.  I'm assuming the
binaries that came with 'em hosed the system again???

I really don't understand what's going on.  Anyway, I'm going to
restore and upgrade again just to get the system stable and working
for tomorrow.  I'm really sick of this socalled "upgrade".  I think
the best bet is to backup and just do a completely clean install and
then reconfigure.  Or probably better to use cvsup, but as I
mentioned I had problems with that.

Cheers,

Riley