Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:11:04 -0700
From:      Duncan Patton a Campbell <campbell@neotext.ca>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        larson@eng.paix.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: encryption export

--=.1N(UsQI:/UHM:4

I would suggest that the most salient advice is to read
the laws regarding the subject.  A lawyer is likely to
be quite incapable of operating under the multiple legal
modes required: most of them are incompetent in one system.

The most useful advice at a technical layer is to aquire
the sources from a site outside the US and to not install
it anywhere that is under the Ban (say NKorea or Iraq).

Dhu

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 02:59:33 -0800 (PST)
Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Alan Larson wrote:
>
> >   I tried "security@freebsd.org", but apparently that doesn't work, there
> > were no replies,
>
> Not a valid assumption, sorry. :) See below.
>
> >   I am looking to upgrade / install software in a system outside of the
> > U.S.  As such am concerned about the encryption export restrictions.  I
> > need to upgrade a FreeBSD system, and have procedures that will let me do
> > a binary upgrade for that, but I need to know what must be done to move
> > the software out of the U.S., and to work with it (remotely) once it is
> > there.
>
> You need to talk to a lawyer. We can't give, and you shouldn't be asking
> for legal advice on an internet mailing list. The issues and variables are
> simply too complex, and the risk to you is too great.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Doug
>
> --
>
>     If it's moving, encrypt it. If it's not moving, encrypt
>       it till it moves, then encrypt it some more.

--=.1N(UsQI:/UHM:4

--=.1N(UsQI:/UHM:4--