Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:19:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jose Gerardo Amaya Giron" <gerardo@datascan-site.com>
To:        jconner@enterit.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with startx

I had the same problem when I install FreeBSD on my laptop the problem was
that during instalation I configure the secure levels in maximun, so you
should check your rc.conf and set the following lines as follows:

kern_securelevel="0"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"

after this reboot(I'm not sure if is necesarry but I recommend to do it) and
run SuperProbe to check out your viedo hardware, for more info check man
SuperProbe. After this I have no problem running Xfree86.