Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 1996 11:36:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

> Excure me? Every one has been posting to a bunch of lists. I have been
> getting multiple emails from a lot of people. What is with you people?
> Do you treat everyone with such disdain and a pompos attitude? Do you

1. We have simple rules about how to use our mailing list resources.
   These rules were adopted for very good reasons, primarily among them
   the fact that the people who must actually read and answer these
   emails are now receiving upwards of 800 emails a day.  Even with
   the aggressive use of procmail, the volunteer support system is
   very fragile and would quickly break if everyone decided to stop
   obeying the basic rules of email etiquette at once.

2. People DO break those rules and, if we have time, we send them
   a note asking that they *please* not do so again in the future.
   In 99.99% of the cases, we get sheepish replies back about not
   having read the mailing list charters (under
   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources:mail.html) or hitting
   the wrong button in netscape, and they don't do it again.

3. In this case, you responded to that request by defending your
   usage of multiple lists, giving every indication that you intended
   to continue doing so in the future.

   the message in stronger terms, having clearly not understood the
   extent to which we hold our basic rules of usage to be important.

There is no general trend of "disdain" or "pomposity" at work here,
this is simply a situation which has been aggrevated beyond any
justification by your unwillingness to comply with our simplest and
most reasonable policies.  If there is any errant behavior to be
flagged here, it is yours.

					Jordan