Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 07:40:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      bugs@netcom.com (Mark Hittinger)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Disk striping or even RAID for FreeBSD

> From: "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
> has anyone some of the mentioned abilities implemented for
> FreeBSD? Or: how to glue 6 1Gb HDDs into one striped or "RAIDed"
> raw device, if you need one 6 (or 5) "big" disk?
> What a _damn_ fast file server would FreeBSD become with this! :-)
> As about a "software" RAID -- I mentioned a bunch of techreports
> and various whitepapers on the subject at ftp.cs.berkeley.edu.

Last week I was in San Jose and got to meet Ulf.  One of the things Ulf
mentioned was that he had obtained the specs on the new adaptec 3985 part
which evidently supports these sorts of things.

This would be a terrific thing to implement - news expiration would be a
major beneficiary of this work.  I already regard FreeBSD as the ultimate
web server, it is pretty damn close to the ultimate news box as well.
This would sort of push things over into the "intuitively obvious" range.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
now bugs@netcom.com :-)