Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:41:26 -0800
From:      Nicole Harrington  <nicole@mediacity.com>
To:        Doug White  <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Studded  <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Nicole Harrington  <nicole@mediacity.com>, The experts  <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6-BETA OOP-ACK-BLEH sendmail 8.8.8 won't compile

> Doug White wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Nicole Harrington wrote:
>
> > > Thankfully it was on my own server.  I have recompiled most everything I
> > > needed to after doing make world and building a new kernel. (Like named
> > > 8.8.1 - Which *should* IMHO be in 2.2.6)
> >
> > Principle of least suprise says that named 8.x won't be in 2.2.x due to
> > the config file renovation.  Good candidate for 3.x though.
>
> 	Not just POLA, but the fact that the resolver and other
> libraries/headers/etc. in BIND 8.1.1 are not yet ready for prime time.
> Word is that 8.1.2 will have some or all of this stuff fixed, but the CW
> for BIND is still build 4.9.6 to get the headers and libs (which we do)
> and if you are running a publicly accessible nameserver build 8.1.1 to
> get the better binaries and named.conf options. There's no way that BIND
> 8.x should ever go into FreeBSD 2.anything, except as a port, which we
> already have. :) OTOH, once it's ready for prime time BIND 8 should
> definitely be part of -Current, hopefully before 3.0-Release. That will
> be good timing for the change.
>
> Doug

Hmm
 I know that we have been using 8.1.1 for awhile now for primary and secondary
NS for a very large number of domains and it does very well. It does have a
small learning curve though.

 Nicole

   *    Nicole Harrington | Systems Administrator    *

     nicole@mediacity.com - nicole@ispchannel.com
        www.mediacity.com - www.ispchannel.com
      Phone: 650-237-1464 - Pager: 415-301-2482