Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:36:25 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        pstern <pstern@ptialaska.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.2 problems

pstern (pstern@ptialaska.net) wrote:

> I have been a subscriber to FreeBSD since the 2.X versions. I have
> recently run into problems with trying to do a fresh install of 4.2.
> Begining with 4.1 the preconfigured window managers (I prefer fvwm2) have
> been very poor. Now with 4.2 and XFree86 4.01 I cannot even get a working
> installation of X.
>
> There are no obvious errors during the install but the XF86Setup doesn't
> work. I cannot configure my mouse the A command does nothing. The
> resulting xf86config aborts because of font problems.

There is no longer an XF86Setup in XFree86-4. The gui-replacement
tool is xf86cfg (or the equivalent XFree86 -configure). This tool
is not quite as nice as the old XF86Setup (which would give positive
feedback on mouse configuration, etc.), but it is servicable. When
run as root, it places a new XF86Config file in /root. The old
console-based xf86config program is pretty much the same as the
old 3.x program.

As for fonts, did you choose to build fonts with the XFree86 install?

Also, another *very common* error is failing to install
/usr/ports/x11/wrapper, which is needed if you are launching X as a
non-root user using startx/xinit.

If you still have problems, try capturing the error messages with script
(man 1 script) and post the results here.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com