Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 17:46:45 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI, XFS and OSS?

Alfred Perlstein writes:
> irix doesn't ship with UFS anymore?

Not for a very long time. Prior to XFS they used something called EFS.
In the newest Irix EFS is supposed to be read-only. SGI still ships
their CDROM's in EFS format.

> > Don't the O2s have NVRAM for logging the metadata changes?  That'd
> > make a tremendous difference right away...
>
> Are you aware of any board you can get for PCs that provide something
> like this?

My ISSR required knowing if anything such as a large NVRAM was in a
system. I've been thru a number of SGI systems and ever found more than
a modest amount of NVRAM, and that was in a clock chip.