Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:29:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ken@plutotech.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [CAM] boot messages, not configured devices

 >> Indeed, my drives had a 'SC_ONE_LU' entry in the old scsiconf.c
 >> file. However, your patch does not help - I still get the messages.

 > Hmm.  Well, I'm out of ideas to fix that one for now, unless I somehow
 > botched the quirk entry in the patch....yep, I did.  Sorry about that.  Can
 > you try the new patch I attached?

Works fine now. Thanks.

 >> > Well, that's the passthrough driver, not the probe pseudo-peripheral.  The
 >> > passthrough driver will attach to anything that survives the probe phase.
 >> > (i.e., anything that responds to an inquiry)
 >>
 >> [...]
 >> > There are a couple of possible explanations for this.  How long is your bus
 >> > settle delay?  It's possible that it takes a while to figure out that
 >>
 >> it always was 8 seconds (8000 milliseconds now :-) and the old drivers
 >> worked. Increasing to 30 seconds gives the same results.

 > Okay, that means it's most likely not timing dependent.

 >> > doesn't have a CD in it or something like that.  Try increasing SCSI_DELAY
 >> > to 30000 (30 seconds).  Generally, when CDROM/WORM drives don't have any
 >> > media on board, they return a status of 0x3a,0x00.  (medium not present)
 >> > If that fixes the problem, you can decrease it gradually until you figure
 >> > out how long it needs.
 >>
 >> It seems that the PHILIPS CDD2600 reply 'not ready' rather than
 >> 'medium not present' to the READ CAPACITY command if the medium is not
 >> present.

 > I agree.  Well, try the attached patch, it should make your drive attach.
 > Let me know how it works.  i.e. if you can mount CDs, etc.  Assuming it
 > works okay, I'll have to figure out how to handle this problem.  (I guess
 > I'll either have to accept 0x04,* as nonfatal conditions for CDROM drives
 > on attach, or do a device-specific quirk entry for this drive.)

The CD-R is now attached, but the message appears a long time after the
system has booted:
Sep 22 09:13:52 qix /kernel.cam: changing root device to da0a
Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2 at ncr1 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SCSI2 device
Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: 3.300MB/s transfers
Sep 22 09:14:46 qix /kernel.cam: cd2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable

Unfortunately I can't mount any CD. I get an I/O error:
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): extraneous data discarded.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): COMMAND FAILED (9 0) @0xf0792600.
(cd2:ncr1:0:3:0): cddone: got error 0x5 back

Jean-Marc

--
 Jean-Marc Zucconi                    PGP Key: finger jmz@FreeBSD.ORG