Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:03:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't open ../conf/devices.i386 (fwd)

I ask this question once again. I've had my system sitting idle wondering
what to do. I'm afraid to reboot wondering if it'll come back up. Does
this question even belong on this list?

I've really found nothing of any worth on fbsd's site. I've looked under
updating, 3.4 to 4.0, releng_4....This is my first major update. I never
should have began with this.

#------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,

I'm trying to follow the directions in UPDATING and my fbsd 3.4-stable is
being far from cooperative.

I started out with:
        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        Update config, genassym and go:
                cd src/usr.bin/genassym
                make depend all install clean
This crashed when I ran 'make depend...'

I then realized I wasn't supposed to start here I was supposed to start
with:
        To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
        --------------------------------
        cd /usr/src
        make buildworld
        cd sbin/mknod
        make install
        <follow directions to build/install a kernel>

So, this all went fine until I tried to config my kernel. I ran
/usr/sbin/config COMPUTER_NAME I got the error on the subject line. I read
in the fbsd mail archives that I was supposed to do at make install world
in /usr/src. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I
searched the archives and found I was supposed to look in UPDATING to
figure out how to upgrade to 4.0.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

David
doc@wcug.wwu.edu
Washington State Resident
ICQ 21106703