Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:50:22 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger), nadav@barcode.co.il, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: support for 16650

Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> wrote:
> 	Maybe this change can be dropped into a -current version,
> 	yes?  I have heard rumblings--at least 3rd- or 4th-hand--
> 	that within a year the POTS modems will be screaming along
> 	at 57Kbps or something.   Anybody else hear these rumors?

Yup...I just saw an article in the Sept 16 1996 issue of Computerworld...

    Rockwell Semiconductor Systems is preparing a 56K bit/sec. modem chip
    set -- today's top out at 33.6K bit/sec. -- that analysts said will
    enable faster access to the Internet and corporate data networks from
    remote sites and mobile workers' computers...enable modems to support
    data transmission over regular analog lines at 56K bit/sec...But one
    user questioned whether regular analog lines can handle data at 56K
    bit/sec.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org