Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:05:23 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Ka-Wh00t <sysadmin@noc.panthernet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hostname assigning?

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 at 14:38 SAT, Ka-Wh00t wrote:

> 	I recently set up a virtual host on my noc.panthernet.com box
> (208.18.212.108) using ifconfig aliasing and it seems to be running
> well. However, I would like to give it a hostname that will DNS Resolve.
> Inserting the ip/hostname into /etc/hosts works from within my box, but I
> want it to DNS Resolve. I also have root access to a nameserver (domain
> server) if I'm required to do it from there. Step-by-step instructions
> will be greatly appecitated!

Yikes!  Whole volumes have been written on the subject.  Before starting to
mess with any established nameserver, I would sincerely recommend that you
read the book "DNS and BIND", by Albitz and Liu (published by O'Reilly and
Associates).

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878