Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:25:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mr D Whitehead <davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Home Directory Mounting

Hi All,
	My appologies if this is not felt to be the right forum for
this question but as my problem has been caused by the success of
FreeBSD on this site I thought I would try here first.
	We have a mixture of Sun's and PC's with home directories
served from several partitions on serveral Sun's via an amd map of
of the general form:-

/defaults	type:=nfs;rfs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/home/${group};fs:=${rfs};sublink:=${key};opts:=rw,intr,noconn
tom		rhost:=foo0;group:=bar0
dick		rhost:=foo1;group:=bar1
harry		rhost:=foo2;group:=bar2

	This system has worked well, and makes the user's home
directory available on any machine that they have login access.
Recently several users have requested that spare disk space on their
'personal' machines (i.e. the machines that they normally use) be
made available as additional home directory space.
	Is there a neat way to do this? The constraints are as
follows:-
1) This only applies to a small percentage of users.
2) Some of the 'personal' machines are not always running FreeBSD.
3) The solution needs to be as invisible and reliable as the existing
   home directory mounting.

Dave Whitehead
EMAIL:-                                 | TELEPHONE (work):-
(work) davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk          | +44 1248 382703 (Direct line)
(home) 100023.1076@compuserve.com       | +44 1248 351151 ext 2703
SNAIL MAIL:-
Dave Whitehead
School of Electronic Engineering & Computer Systems,
University College of North Wales,
Dean Street,
Bangor  LL57 1UT