Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 02:46:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disallow remote login by regular user.

> Hi folks. I'm trying to ocnfigure my system so that I can disallow a
> particular user account from being able to login remotely, and forcing
> users to su to the account instead. How may I configure this?

Be careful of your definition of "remotely".  I have several users that
need to telnet into a machine to trigger a program to run, but they're
only allowed to telnet in from certain machines on the local network, and
we don't want them triggering it from home.  /etc/login.conf with a few
extra class entries can be your friend.  With a bit of careful planning,
locking down certain users (or opening it up to certain users) is fairly
easy.  Check the "hosts.{allow|deny}" and "ttys.{allow|deny}" entries in
the man page for login.conf.

--mike