Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 16:16:16 +0000
From:      drifter <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (fquestions)
Subject:   Re: setting boot ``unit'' to 1 from 0

 Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote...

> 	On my new platform, I've got FBSD rooted on disk 1, not 0.
> 	But the boot prompt is
>
> 	sd(0, a)
>
> 	which continually dies and tried to reboot.  What file to
> 	I change to have the target `unit' get set to a 1?
>
> 	By hand:  sd(1, a)
>
> 	works just fine.

	There's a file in the / directory called boot.config. Edit this
file and put "sd(1,a)kernel", if that is your target disk. This file
just stores the default boot parameters that you would normally have to
type at the boot: prompt.
	On my system, I boot off a floppy (My system is also on disk 1, but
it's a SCSI and my first hard disk is IDE), so I modified the floppy's
/boot.config file to read "1:sd(0,a)kernel" -- which works fine for me.

--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
     "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising