Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:38:02 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   re: vinum preparation

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C00CEE.366CE5B0

Sorry for the delay, I've been playing with the kernel configuration as
well.

I was able to successfully create a stripe set using the following:

"/etc/vinum.conf"

drive subdisk1 device /dev/da1s1e
drive subdisk2 device /dev/da2s1e
drive subdisk3 device /dev/da3s1e
drive subdisk4 device /dev/da4s1e
drive subdisk5 device /dev/da5s1e
drive subdisk6 device /dev/da6s1e

volume mmvolc
plex org striped 1024b
sd length 2033m drive subdisk1
sd length 2033m drive subdisk2
sd length 2033m drive subdisk3
sd length 2033m drive subdisk4
sd length 2033m drive subdisk5
sd length 2033m drive subdisk6
<

However, when I try to create a RAID5 array, I get an error that one of =
the
plexes doesn't have enough subdisks and there are two plexes, mmvolc.p0 =
and
mmvolc.p1, rather than just the one plex, mmvolc.p0.

I simply changed the plex line to read "plex org raid5 1024b"

The volumes are partitioned to fill the entire space (dangerously =
dedicated)
and I created equal slices of 4165120 blocks on each disk. The leftover
space was left unallocated.

I would prefer the safety factor of a RAID array, given that these are =
old
disks, so this is a bit problematic. Any help would be appreciated.

I am still migrating from Linux, which is why I've been playing with the
kernel. I need EXT2 support for a little while. Once I get the data on =
those
volumes moved around and backed up again, I will supply the create
log from vinum.

Thanks,
Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com