Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:13:40 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        marwan@q8internet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A network betwen 2 PC's

dead_line@hotmail.com said:
>   Machine one is already UP by ppp connection
>   its connected to a HUB and the HUB is connected to machine
>   B, C so all machine on the network.

>   what what i have to do to tell Machine A (BSD machine) to give
>   the internet to the other two machines ?

Assuming that internet stuff is working properly on Machine A, then
basically you need to set up the FreeBSD system to forward traffic,
and you need to tell the other two machines to use Machine A as their
default gateway.

However, because you're using PPP, I would assume that you're using
private addresses internally and are getting a dynamic address
assignment from whoever it is you're calling with PPP.  If that's
true, you either need to set up proxies on Machine A for the services
you wish to support, or you need to set up NAT.  The aim in either
case is to have only the PPP-assigned address appear in outgoing
traffic since that's probably the only thing that will be routed
back across your PPP connection.

If you're going with proxies, you don't need to enable your kernel
as a gateway; if you're going with NAT (or nothing because you have
registered addresses that your ISP will route for you) then you
need to make your kernel into a gateway by putting:

	gateway_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf

You will also probably find that you won't get far without DNS
configured properly.  If you're using proxies, you'll need to
run DNS on Machine A (in my opinion).  If not, you could use
the addresses supplied by the ISP for their name servers.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319