Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 08:05:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: Stale NFS file handle

> > > /a/src: Stale NFS file handle.
> > > I fear that the only way to get around this is to reboot which
> > > is not so funny.
> > > Are there any other ways to overcome this problem?

OK, in the absolute worst case (you just can't reboot), and assuming the
file system is mount on /a/src:
cd /a
mv src src.dead
mkdir src
mount /a/src

This has never failed me. Then next time you reboot rmdir /a/src.dead
>Terry comments:
> Is it possible the the handle is, in fact, stale?
by which i think he means: Did that remote file system get moved to a
different disk, or get changed in some way? The it is, in fact, stale! You
did mention that the remote machine went down, right? Did it change?
ron