Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:10:14 -0500
From:      "Dean Weimer" <dweimer@orscheln.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 7.1 on Dell PowerEdge 850

Just wondering if anyone is running FreeBSD 7.1 on a Dell PowerEdge 850
with SATA raid, I have 5.4 installed on one now, because there was a
problem with the Intel ich5 sata chipset on 6.x branch at the time I
built the server.  I don't remember the error message, but I believe the
problem had something to do with the chipset not returning a command
that FreeBSD was waiting for so it would hang on boot trying to mount
the hard drives.  It was quite annoying though in that the entire
installation runs but then it fails to boot after the restart.  Which is
why I was hoping someone else could tell me if FreeBSD 7.1 will run
before I wipe out the existing 5.4 installation.

=20

In case it helps here is the output about the chipset from pciconf -lv

=20

pcib6@pci0:30:0:        class=3D0x060401 card=3D0x00000050 =
chip=3D0x244e8086
rev=3D0xe1 hdr=3D0x01

    vendor   =3D 'Intel Corporation'

    device   =3D '82801BA/CA/DB/DBL/EB/ER (ICH2/3/4/4-L/5/5R), 6300ESB =
Hub
Interface to PCI Bridge'

    class    =3D bridge

    subclass =3D PCI-PCI