Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:28:09 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net-booting the install disks (Re: 8.x grudges)

08.07.2010 12:40, Jeremy Chadwick написав(ла):
>>> set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"
>>>
>> >  Yes, that works... It just should not be necessary.
>>
> Okay, so let me get this straight.  First the complaint was that you had
> to modify loader.conf, which involved extracting the CD image, editing
> the file, yadda yadda.  Now that you've been shown you don't have to
> edit loader.conf, the complaint is "it shouldn't be necessary".:-)

No, I initially complained, that I had to fiddle with loader's options
at boot-time (item 8 -- instead of setting mountfrom, I  set init to
sysinstall -- don't recall the exact syntax).

You then claimed, that you /can't reproduce/ my problem -- and referred
me to your instructions
<http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_8.html>; (nice
ones, BTW, even for those, who don't need serial-port install), where
you explain, how to perform the install via netboot. I pointed out, that
your recipe is not a valid counter-example, because -- instead of
fiddling with loader's options at boot-time, you fiddle with the
loader.conf (and have to extract the entire CD/DVD-image to do that
one-line change).

One way or the other, some -- very minor -- manual changes are
required... It is, of course, an accepted fact, that installing (or
upgrading) an OS would require fiddling, but this particular little
aspect can be eliminated, I think...
> The bottom line: the PXE booting framework in FreeBSD could be improved.
> Even Randi would agree with this point, I think.
I perfectly understand -- and am not complaining -- about substantial
work not done in any particular area. It is the little things, that
could've been done with negligible /marginal/ cost, that are my target.

RedHat's "kickstart
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/ch-kickstart2.html>"
can do an entire install based on pre-configured rules. Implementing
something like that for FreeBSD would, probably, take quite a bit of
effort. But being able to just boot straight into install from a CD (or
CD-image) across the LAN doesn't seem very complicated, considering, how
close we already are...

Yes, it is important to me. No, I can not do it myself. I do, what I can
in my area of expertise. If this area is not being improved for lack of
time/resources, then fine... But I don't think, that's the case, for it
seems to me, that the developers, who can do this little improvement,
simply don't see a need for it.

Yours,

    -mi