Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 20:11:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru Nelson <dnelson@dedinet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   FIX: resolver, named, sendmail problem

Hello,

  Inside: a description of the problem and a question on where this
          should be documented

  I just installed Freebsd 2.1.0 from the Infomagic CD-ROM last week.
  It was easy :-).

  When I setup my system, I setup 'hostname' to be pacman.symnet.net.
  I also made that system a secondary DNS server.  Another system
  was the MX host for symnet.net.  SymNet is a class C network.

  According to the man pages, that is sufficient setup for this system's
  resolver setup.

  Everything looked fine until I noticed that mail going to any other
  machine on symnet.net wasn't working.  The /var/log/maillogs indicated
  that it couldn't resolve core or digdug.

  I became very confused.

  I checked with nslookup.  When it started, it would pick up pacman as
  the server and begin working.  It had some problems (lock up) resolving
  names.  Stated 'couldn't find server' after several minutes. I believe
  it worked right off the bat, but if I said server pacman, then lookups
  would bomb/lockup (early morning memory disorder)

  I tried a simple fix of using resolv.conf and set up my domain and
  primary DNS.  Of course, this fixed all, but the idea of not understanding
  why something wasn't working made me look further.

  I noticed that when nslookup came up it stated its address as 0.0.0.0.
  This was related to the problem.  I checked the sources in the resolver
  lib. I only got as far as the header because it described the solution.

  The resolver is compiled to not use the Loopback interface so it will
  use INADDR_ANY which will bind to the first ifconfig'd interface.
  This happens to be my loopback.  It wasn't really stressed anywhere
  that the interfaces must be placed first in /etc/sysconfig's
  network_interfaces variables or anywhere else. It is really easy
  to just put the ether as the second interface to be setup.

  For my solution, I just made a resolv.conf with the info in order and
  the first nameserver as 127.0.0.1 .

  Any recognition of this email to know that it has gotten into the
  right mailbox would be humbly appreciated.

dru
dnelson@symnet.net