Date:      	Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:54:31 +1000
From:      Andrew Tridgell <tridge@arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
To:        julian@whistle.com
Cc:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fix for symlinks in /tmp (fwd) FYI

> It's probably not THAT common, but it MIGHT cause someone to lose hours
> in a very frustrating way..

How many hours have been lost in a "frustrating way" when someone has
broken into a system or destroyed files by exploiting this type of
hole ...

Surely you've noticed all the "symlink-in-/tmp" style security holes
discussed on places like bugtraq?

> tmpfile creation should not follow a symlink anyhow..

yep, in an ideal world it wouldn't. Its just that programs that do it
unsafely and scripts that redirect stuff temporarily into /tmp are all
too common.

Have you never written a shell script that does something like:

#!/bin/sh
tmpfile=/tmp/silly_name.$$
cat > $tmpfile
grep foobar $tmpfile | cut -mumble | someprog | Mail mumble
grep barfoo $tmpfile | otherprog > some_log_file
rm $tmpfile

I know I've written such stupid things many times. I also know they
are bad, wrong and terrible. But its oh so tempting to get the job
done ....

And I know that lots of other people do the same :-)

Cheers, Andrew