Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2014 13:44:45 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd@fongaboo.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS-on-Root method

ufs boot is still usable but was only really needed at the bootloader didnt
support zfs booting. This is no longer the case unless you are using and
non standard boot pool.

ZFSBootPartition is still usable but really a legacy method, as you will be
limited on a 2TB partition for your pool vdevs

GPTzfsroot is the way to go these days as it will work with large drives
(2TB+). One thing to note about that guide is that it does not specifically
align the partitions to 4k, which should always be done for all drives,
advanced format or not. There is also the ashift=12 question as well. As a
general rule of thumb, you should opt for ashift=12, but I have been lead
to believe there are some work loads that work better on ashift=9 even on
advanced format drives, therefore its probably worth doing some testing to
make sure you make the correct choice for your senario.