Date:      Sun, 11 May 2014 17:41:52 -0400
From:      Geoff Speicher <geoff@sea-incorporated.com>
To:        Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Craig Leres <leres@ee.lbl.gov>, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>, Martin Matuska <mm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Joerg Wunsch <joerg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/binutils and devel/gnulibiberty version mismatch

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 05/09/14 20:08, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > On Fri, 9 May 2014, Geoff Speicher wrote:
> >> Bringing in other parties for feedback, based on their mention in the
> >> binutils commit (svn link below).
> >
> > This reminded me of ports/184327: devel/binutils erroneously installs
> > $PREFIX/include/ansidecl.h.
>
> That has been fixed, when I updated devel/binutils to 2.24.
> Regards!

Actually, I have a question about ports/184327. This bug report asserts
that ansidecl.h is an internal file necessary only to build the GNU
toolchain and should not be installed by devel/binutils. However, binutils
also installs bfd.h which happens to include ansidecl.h (at least, it does
in v2.24). Therefore, the installed bfd.h is broken. This fact either
contradicts the original assertion that ansidecl.h should not be installed,
or else it implies that bfd.h should not be installed either.

However, if we did not install bfd.h then we probably shouldn't install
bfd.a either, and at least some ports seem to rely on binutils to provide
them both.

So I am questioning whether the removal of ansidecl.h from the
devel/binutils install is the optimal fix, or if there is a better way to
handle this that allows lang/gcc49 to work without breaking devel/binutils
and programs that rely on BFD.