Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 14:53:45 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ./MAKEDEV sd0 hosed my filesystem

On Wed,  4 March 1998 at 20:02:51 -0800, K. Marsh wrote:
> Hi.  I really have two questions.  First, I ignorantly ran MAKEDEV on my
> one and only scsi hard disk, sd0.  Now booting mounts only the root
> partition. Is there an easy way to recover from this?

Try first listing your /etc/fstab (should still work), and compare the
file names there with what you have in /dev.  Before you can modify
things in /dev, you need to mount root read/write.  Normally you do
that with

  # mount -u /

but this may not work if you've hosed the device entries.  In that
case, you may be a candidate for the fixit floppy.

Once you have got that up and running, you should be able to remake
the SCSI nodes with, say,

  # cd /dev
  # ./MAKEDEV sd0

Choose the highest device number you need.

> Second, what happened to the archive that holds all the stupid
> questions others have asked in the past?  I looked at
> http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr/support.html but it is no longer
> there.

That's a private site.  It seems it's suffering from a bit of link
rot.  Try http://www.freebsd.org/search.html#mailinglists instead.

Greg