Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:16:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :)

> Well I do think you are dead right on X-No doubt as a GUI it is (or
> can be) a real trick to get running-I admit I may suffer from a kind
> of attitude that says interest will win in the end-I WOULD like to see
> a larger audience for FBSD-The only point I am leary of is the one about
> MS drivers (is that what they are called :-) ? Oh well only time will
> tell-in the mean time I am going to see how much trouble I can get into
> as soon as 3.2 hits my door. Cheers and take care  jeff phillips

X-Inside's Accelerated X has a pretty decent install program.  I really
missed it when it came time to configure X-Free86.  Specifically one
part:  configuring the mouse.  The mouse wasn't working, so I poked at
some settings and wiggled the mouse to see if there were improvements.
Sadly it was close, but instead of wiggling side to side the mouse cursor
zipped up to a window control and "clicked" on something.  With the focus
lost, there was no hope of regaining control.  I must have tried for 30
minutes (hey, maybe it'll zip back up there again!).

X-Inside on the other hand did a really good job.  I believe they also
shipped a monitor database (timings of common monitors).  So I located
my monitor in a list, highlighted it (in textmode with trusty arrow keys)
and the most errorprone part was finished.  Mouse setup was similarly done
in text mode.  Not as flashy perhaps, but solid and quick.  The most difficult
aspect was locating the port I plugged it into, a matter of trial and error
since I didn't want to open the case.

Jon Doran