Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:00:10 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stackable storage Alpha release

> >One of the things that I really didn't like about UNiX when I first
> >started using it was the 'disconnection' between the contents of /dev and
> >reality. To this end I have been working in the background on DEVFS. A
> >device filesystem which allows (in fact requires) the device drivers to
> >keep the exported picture of available devices in sync with what is
> >actually attached.
>
> Being relatively new, I don't know much about DEVFS.  Can you explain
> the advantages of the above?

In the current model, device nodes are entities on the disk.  If you
add a new driver, you have to add new device nodes manually (hello
MAKEDEV).

With DEVFS, the process whereby a driver attaches a device
automatically creates the relevant node(s).  This is a big win for
dynamic hardware (PCCARDs, removable disk media, etc.)

mike