Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:22:18 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Oleg Semyonov <os@ktpk.dp.ua>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD+natd = tcp connection problems

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 03:59:17PM +0400, Oleg Semyonov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>    I have some problems with tcp connections to some servers
> (ftp, irc and some others). My network configuration is quite
> simple: FreeBSD box is connected via slip (sl0) to IP provider
> (BSDI 2.1) and via NIC (de0) - to LAN (Win95/NT workstations).
> I have one real IP for FreeBSD box and private network
> 192.168.0.* for LAN. Natd is used for NAT, and all was ok, but...
>
> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
>
>   When I trying to ftp to some servers from FreeBSD, in some
> cases I can enter login/password, and then see only first
> 230-
> line, and connection hangs. When using password in form of
> -user@ (disable that 230- messages) - all ok. For example,
> connect to ftp.kiae.su and ftp.hp.com was failed, connect
> to ftp.microsoft.com - ok.
>    Then I found that we are using different MTU values on
> both sides of slip link (308 by defaul on BSDI, 507 by default
> on FreeBSD). I'm setting my side to 308. All ok, ftp with no
> problems. But only from FreeBSD box. Workstations from LAN via
> natd cannot ftp with same problem: 230- and stop. Workstations
> on LAN and de0 interface on FreeBSD are using MTU=1500.
>    Next stage was to replace slip by ppp with mtu=1500. Effect
> was same: dropped connections from FreeBSD (and LAN too). Changing
> ppp0 MTU to 296-308 solves problem, but for FreeBSD box only.
> LAN cannot ftp to such servers. Irc connections from LAN hangs
> in same manner.
>
> What is the reason and what can I do? Does anybody help me?

This belongs in FreeBSD-questions - I've moved it there.

I also believe the problem is probably your FTP clients rather than
the NATD code, but I can't guarantee this.  natd is somewhat dependent
on how that packets are constructed, but this shouldn't matter at
_that_ stage - only when you do an LS or GET.

Eivind.