Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 03:43:55 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail

I'm trying to figure out how to setup my FreeBSD 2.1r box
as a mail server for my lan! (Amoungest other things :)

Is sendmail the proper tool for this!
I've read the man page and Nemeth but I can't seem to make it work!
At least from Winbloze stations. Only os I have to send tests
from!
I really can't elaborate with error messages as Winbloze is to
stupid to give details!
It just tells me:
 Cannot connect to xxx, make sure your account info is accurate.

On the FBSD box:
  ``user@localhost``   works.
  ``user@host.domain`` works
  ``user@domain``      doesn't work. Produces errors in maillog that
                       say something about routes back to myself.
Yet I can ftp, telnet, http to domain and it works!
ie: http://domain
    http://www
    http://www.domain

I don't know if that means if anything, Just though I'd throw it
out there!

sendmail is right out of the box! except for one minor change:
/etc/sysconfig
  sendmail_flags="-bd"
versus
  sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

I do have a HD on the shelf that has FBSD 2.0r on it and could
stuff it in a system for testing if need be!
I really don't want to go through this to test!

Just praying that some kind soul will assist.. :)

I hope to be able to get FBSD to automajically send/retrive my mail
from my ISP.
Yet be able to send/read from any workstation on the lan.
In a store and forward sort of way I guess.

I also plan on using the FBSD box as a gateway (I think gateway is
what I want??) to also allow any of my workstations access to the
internet via FBSD ppp connection! For web crawling, etc... etc...

My ISP passes out dynamic IP's.
I don't have a valid IP or domainename!
user ppp is installed and working.
  (No protection yet, So I don't leave home :)

Anybody interested in pointing out the path I should take to
accomplish the above goals?
I would surly appreciate the help.

Thanks
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848