Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 00:36:43 -0500
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@louie.udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help Upgrading Kernel

I've got a few questions about upgrading my kernel.  I want to go from
the stable kernel to the current one (I'm hoping for better Linux
emulation).

I thought that for kernel upgrades all I really needed was just /sbin,
/lib, /include, and /usr/src/sys.  I sup'ed all of those and tried to
make them, but got a bunch of errors.  Then I realized this only works
when staying withing the same kernel type (or so I remember hearing).

So, I sup'ed everything except for "games" and did a "make world"
under /usr/src.  This failed.  I think install couldn't find some
.texi file that is was suppossed to install so it quit the entire
compile.

So my question is, what did I mess up?  Should I have done something
else?  If not, it there anyway to tell it to ignore these errors and
keep on going?  Do I need to update any of the bsd.mk files in
/usr/share first?

Thanks in advance...

        --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8