Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:35:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Small, but frustrating." <kunze@CS.ColoState.EDU>
To:        Dee Cee <admin@cyrebels.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running X apps as root...

are you talking about having problems connecting to your x server when
you try to run things as root? take a look at 'xauth' and 'xhost'. if
you're not worried about security on your machine try 'xhost +localhost'
to authorize any x client on your machine to connect (so root, or anyone
else logged on your machine can display things on your display). if you'd
like things a bit more secure (and are using xdm) you can copy the magic
cookie for your x-session to root's .Xauthority file

as you:
xauth list
<copy the line that has your display

as root:
xauth add <paste above magic cookie>

if you are the only person on your machine that is root it might be easier
to simply make a symbolic link of the .Xauthority file in your home dir in
/root. this way root will always have the same x permissions as you

[this space irrationally left blank]

matt kunze