Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:26:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Peterman <cjp@sandbox.sandstorm.net>
To:        Jeff Lawton <jeff@idealso.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 3com gigabit 3c996b-t

In our recent tests of gigabit ethernet,  cards with the BCM5700 chipset,
offered the best
performance.  The two cards which satisfy that are the 3c996-T and
one of the SysKonnect (sp?) cards.  If you try hard (pricewatch) you
can still find vendors willing to sell the 3c996-T instead of its
brain dead pretender, the 3c996b-T.

The 3c996b-T is based on the BCM5701, which does away with external
memory, thus leaving the card with only 96k of cache.  Read the bge
source files for more on how this lobotomizes performance.