Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 23:01:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   APS Filter/JetDirect report

It finally works!!!!!!!!!!

Now that the excitement is done, please allow me to describe what was
required to get it going:

1) Thanks to some people on this list, reading the APSFilter FAQ, and some
insights from (of all places) one of the Linux How-To's, I got a working
printcap.  In addition to changing the "lp" entries to point to /dev/null,
I needed to add an additional printcap entry as follows:

remote|remotep|JetDirect EX Plus:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :rm=runabout:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/remote/log:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

where "runabout" is the hostname of my JetDirect.

Once that was done, I tried another printout.. a simple one, my .login
file.  Instead of getting my .login, though, I got a single line printed
out on the printer that said:

Which leads to...

2) Upon looking at the apsfilter script, I found where it was trying to
add the -r parameter in this section of the script:  (this is kind of
long)

                if [ -z "$GS_RESOL" ]
                then
                        # default is _not_ to fiddle around with
                        # ghostscripts printer driver resolution
                        PRINT_PS="      gs                              \
                                        -q                              \
                                        -sDEVICE=${PRINTER}             \
                                        -sPAPERSIZE=${PAPERSIZE}        \
                                        -dNOPAUSE                       \
                                        -dSAFER                         \
                                        -sOutputFile=-                  \
                                        ${GS_FEATURES}                  \
                                        ${PS_INIT}                      \
                                        -                               "
                else
                        # if we urgently need another resolution
                        # then we use it (selectable in /etc/apsfilterrc
                        # or in $HOME/apsfilterrc)
                        PRINT_PS="      gs                              \
                                        -q                              \
                                        -r${GS_RESOL}                   \
                                        -sDEVICE=${PRINTER}             \
                                        -sPAPERSIZE=${PAPERSIZE}        \
                                        -dNOPAUSE                       \
                                        -dSAFER                         \
                                        -sOutputFile=-                  \
                                        ${GS_FEATURES}                  \
                                        ${PS_INIT}                      \
                                        -                               "
                fi

I don't know how it's happening, but somehow the GS_RESOL variable is
being set, but to a blank value, so that it's trying to call apsfilter
with the -r option, but nothing after it.  The solution was to simply pull
out the line with the -r, and after that, I'm now printing and having a
great time of it!

I realize this mail is probably somewhat superfluous, but at least if
anyone has trouble with this in the future, well... here's your solution!
:)  And who knows, maybe this will end up in the mailing list archives.

Thanks again to everyone for their help on this!!