Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:22:26 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        greg@merrimack.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: for loop at your command prompt

This isn't a hacker's question, so I'm sending it to -questions where
you should follow it up if need be.

Greg Fraize wrote:

> can someone please tell me how I could do a
> for loop at my shell prompt...

	Assuming that you are using either bash (yay :) or /bin/sh, all you
need to do is type it in. You'll get a secondary prompt till you type in
'done' and then your little command line will run. Here's an example of
something that I use all the time, bonus points if you can tell me what
it does. :)

bash$ for FOO in `ls /usr/local/bin/*ntp*`; do
> ln -s $FOO ${FOO##*/}
> done

	You could also type it in all on one line, but I think it's more fun to
do it a line at a time. :) It's also easier to see what's happening.

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest