Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 23:22:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
To:        Studded@san.rr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: irc server

Aha!  I see it now.  Thanks for the help, Doug.

>I would guess that you failed to correctly define the DPATH and SPATH.
Yes.  When I read the Makefile, I assumed that IRCDDIR would be hard
coded (prepended) to the PATH definitions.

>Your problem is complicated by the fact that -d isn't actually
>debugging info. :)
You're right again.  I definately misread that part of the man page
and don't know why I thought that provided debug info.

And since you're an IRC expert I hope I can ask a couple more
questions that pertain to IRC.  I'm trying to setup a private IRC,
not join in with other servers.  I just want a limited set of
clients to be able to log onto my server and chat.

1.) Considering my intent for IRC (non published, member only,
probably less than 20 or so clients connecting) is there any
benefit to running it from inetd as opposed to just starting
the ircd daemon from /etc/rc.config?

2.) Are the channels that show up on the IRC client configurable
from the server or are they built into the client software?  I'd
like to have specific channel names show up when a member connects
to the server.

3.) Are there any java based irc clients available as freeware or
for a fee, that I can incorporate into a web page to interact
with the server in addition to the ircii client software?

Thanks again for your help,
Jon