Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:15:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Livingstone <mlivingstone@ottawa.com>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how could this PACKET get through?!

thank for your reply. perhaps you're right "pass out quick on ed0 proto icmp
from any to any keep state keep frags" might be doing it, right? here are my
rules:

block in log on ed0
count in  on ed0 all
count out on ed0 all
block in log quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to any flags SF/SFRA
block in log quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to any flags /SFRA

block in quick on ed0 all with ipopts
block in quick on ed0 all with short
block in quick on ed0 all with frag
block in quick on ed0 all with opt lsrr
block in quick on ed0 all with opt ssrr

block in log quick on ed0 proto tcp from any port = 80 to any port > 1023
flags F/F
block in log quick on ed0 proto tcp from any port = 80 to any port > 1023
flags R/R

block in log quick on ed0 proto tcp from any to any flags FUP

block in log quick on ed0 from 192.168.0.0/16 to any
block in log quick on ed0 from 172.16.0.0/12 to any
block in log quick on ed0 from 127.0.0.0/8 to any
block in log quick on ed0 proto udp from 0.0.0.0/32 to any port = 67
block in log quick on ed0 proto udp from 0.0.0.0/32 to any port = 68
block in log quick on ed0 proto udp from 255.255.255.255/32 to any port = 67
block out log quick on ed0 from any to 192.168.0.0/16
block out log quick on ed0 from any to 172.16.0.0/12
block out log quick on ed0 from any to 127.0.0.0/8

pass in log quick on ed0 proto icmp from any to any icmp-type 0
pass in log quick on ed0 proto icmp from any to any icmp-type unreach code 3
pass in log quick on ed0 proto icmp from any to any icmp-type unreach code 4
pass in log quick on ed0 proto icmp from any to any icmp-type timex
pass out quick on ed0 proto icmp from any to any keep state keep frags

block in log quick on ed0
# final 'catch all' rules
block in  log quick on all
block out log quick on all

On Jul 17, Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar> wrote:

> Without knowing your firewall rules it is difficult to tell, but a good
> guess is you are keeping state on the outgoing connections and the icmp
> packet was in response to one of those outgoing connections.
>

> 			Fer
>

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Mark wrote:
>
> > Re,
> >
> > I am blocking most incoming icmp traffic:
> >
> > icmp-type 0
> > icmp-type unreach code 3
> > icmp-type unreach code 4
> > icmp-type timex
> >
> > also.. im running jail, but icmp doesn't work from there.. how could this
packet get through my firewall:

> > Jul 17 05:12:53 ml ipmon[18381]: 05:12:52.177910 2x ed0 @0:35 p 0.so-3-0-
0.XR1.ATL1.ALTER.NET -> jail PR icmp len 20