Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 04:19:42 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        champlin@stolaf.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syncing disks

>On Wed, 15 Oct 1997 champlin@stolaf.edu wrote:
>
>> Everytime I try to install freebsd on my computer the computer freezes.
>> It happens when syncing disks but there is a kernel panic message just
>> prior to syncing disks.  Why would this happen?  What can I do about it?
>
>Your disk controller is quitting prematurely.  What are the details on
>your machine?

I might be wrong. This is the behaviour that occurs as system is booting.
The sequence of events is (more or less)

changing root device to /dev/fd0
panic: double fault
syncing disks

It is more correct to say that the system panics after changing root than
it is to say that it panics before syncing.

This was the problem that I had with the 2.2.2 boot.flp image. It can be
fixed by using the 3.0snap floppy image instead. It seems the 2.2.2-RELEASE
boot image is broke. It is broke on my CD too. (No, it is not possible that
my system caused this error :))

Be sure to set the release value under the options menu before you install
or you will get the beta OS instead of the released OS. The correct value
is precisely  '2.2.2-RELEASE' sans quotes.

How is St. Olaf this time of year? Cold yet?

Later,
Jason Wells