Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:03:19 -0500
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        "Mr. M" <mistrM@gtemail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :)

Mr. M wrote:

> There are so many resources for Linux users it's not funny.  I can't believe
> how many books are on the shelf at my local bookstore.  I swear I thought I
> saw "The Joy of Linux Sex" and "Martha Stewart's Linux Living"! <jk>

I wonder if the fact that Redhat is sold at Best Buy and Comp USA throws the
actual number of Linux users off though. How many people who buy it at a store
like Best Buy are still using it? And how many people were attracted to it by
it's colorful box and it's claims on the back of the box, so they bought it
after never having heard of it, took it home, found out what was involved and
then never installed it? Or how many people installed it, found out it actually
required a little effort on their part unlike Windows, so immediately took it
off and then ended up having to take their comp to a store to get fixed because
they couldn't figure out how to reinstall Windows?

The average person who would use Linux or FreeBSD probably doesn't shop for it
at CompUSA, Best Buy, or a bookstore anyway. The ones who do are probably the
ones like I mentioned above. Besides that, the problem with bookstores is that
the versions they carry are usually very outdated (The Border's store here has
books that include "The latest version of Redhat Linux! Version 4.2!) :) And
although the bookstore here does carry the Complete FreeBSD, they still have
the one with version 2.2.6. Nothing newer then that.