Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 21:47:43 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "dial-up networking"

At 06:11 PM 2/22/97 -0800, you wrote:
>questions and FreeBsd-questions are the same, you only need to send it
>once.

Sorry about that.  In fact, the message came back to me for some reason,
and I sent it out again!! (without the cc: questions-freebsd).

>What have you set up so far?  Have you set up the files in /etc/ppp?
>Are you going to use user ppp (tun0) or kernel ppp (ppp0)?  Look at the
>examples in /etc/ppp and then go back to the handbook and try again.
>Then, when you fail again :), attach all of the stuff you set up, and
>tell us which type of ppp you were trying to set up.

I've set up user ppp with the tun0 device.  I can actually start terminal
emulation from ppp and dial up the isp, but not with the "ppp.conf" script
I created in /etc/ppp aka the handbook.  According to the book, I should be
able to enter at the prompt (I'm still logging in as root):

# ppp "provider"

where "provider" is the name of my isp in the ppp.conf script.

Here's one problem I've encountered.  I noticed that after I made the
suggested changes to /etc/sysconfig, like so:

hostname=rma.edu

where "rma.edu" is the domain name of my isp, when I rebooted, instead of
"myname.my.domain", or some other defined user, the machine was calling
itself "rma.edu."  Am I confused about what "hostname" means?  Perhaps
so--why would it be the same as the domain name.

>Do I, for instance, get user ppp running on an xterm and simply start up
or switch to the browser?

Do you know the answer to my question about the proper way to use xwindows
and netscape?  In MS Windows, for instance, you can establish your dial-up
connection first, and then start any program (browser, mail, ftp etc.) to
utilize the connection.

Michael Alwan