Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:22:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, info@highwind.com, lists@tar.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent 3.0's are Depressing

> Apparently the newest libc's have been fixed to cope with whatever was
> changed. (or it was changed back). Latest reports have it working again.
>

> > > Both of us are on the "latest" libc_r and we see different results.
> > > Statically linking an old libc_r into the application didn't fix
> > > the problem.

This is possible.  But I am unconvinced, since the "it's working"
report was on a kernel and libc_r combination from 11 Oct 1998.

We need to get a hard date for the problem start, with kernel source
dates, before we can say the problem no longer exists.

I'm also concerned that, even if it's a libc_r/kernel mismatch,
this bodes poorly for statically linked libc_r applications, such
as the one Highwind is distributing.

It would be a bad precedent to set to not attempt to ensure binary
backward compatability because "it's just libc_r".

On the other hand, I would probably welcome such a precedent, since
it would mean that making FreeBSD's default ABI IABI compliant
would be possible, and then we could take advantage of all of the
existing Solaris x86 and UnixWare applications without having to
...uh, borrow... shared libraries off a Solaris or SCO box.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.