Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:05:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        jakob@ostenfeld.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 jakob@ostenfeld.dk wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 05:14:20PM -0400, William Melanson wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Nolasco Jaena wrote:
> >
> > %
> > % Hello Sir,
> > %
> > % Why is it that the mascot of FreeBSD is a little devil? Some people
> > % might relate this to satanism or other evil things. I for one is
> > % bothered by this. Is it possible to change this to a more pleasing one
> > % similar to the penguin of Linux?
> > %
>
> If you read up on modern satanism, you'll find that it is very close to
> christianity, with one of the few differences being that satanism acknowledges
> evil in man, while christianity sort of explains all bad things with being
> the fault of some red guy living in a hot place below us.

	Let's hope that you never have to make your living as a
theologian. :) This isn't even a bad representation of christian theology,
it's a complete and total fabrication. Christian theology most definitely
"acknowledges evil in man," in fact original sin as a fundamental
principle of human existence is the whole purpose of Jesus' death on the
cross (and subsequent ressurection, etc.).

	Obviously this is not an appropriate topic for -questions, but
there was no way I could let that comment pass without correction. Inre
the mascot issue, it was acknowledged in a prior round of this debate that
some promotional materials sans "devils" would be a good idea, but I've
never seen any produced. Personally, I know that freebsd is not demonic,
however I won't display FreeBSD stuff with devils on it for fear of
confusing people who don't share our level of "sophistication" with
regards to obscure greek mysticism.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter