Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 18:55:26 -0400
From:      Tim Palmer <timpal@intercall.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5 and compile problems

I installed 2.1.5 recently from the WC CD-ROM and have run into a
problem. I can't seem to compile anything. I've tried kernel compiles -
both GENERIC and my own - and get signal 10 and sometimes signal 11
errors. I can restart make and it will pick up where it failed, often
continueing on, only to fail again. I managed to get through compileing
my kernel once after at least 10 of these restarts. The kernel didn't
work - "nobody wants to mount my root" but that may be my fault. There
seems to be a minor pattern to the signal failures - often at the same
places, but not always. I also tried to compile lynx with the same
results.
	From some of the posts I've read, this seems like a memory and/or
hardware timeing problem. The machine has Win95, WFW, OS/2 and NT WS
3.51 and they all work fine, although I primarily use Win95.
Configuration is:
	Ocean Ocetek "Rhino 9" mobo (Triton II)
	Cyrix P166+
	32M EDO 60ns RAM
	Adaptec 2940 with Seagate ST32550 SCSI-2 Wide HDD
	Adaptec 1542 w/ Pioneer CD-ROM and Zip drive
	3Com 3C590 PCI NIC
	I'm not a programmer, so compiling is a new thing to me. I understand
it works the machine harder than most other activies and may be bringing
out an otherwise minor problem.
	Any suggestions?

	Thanks for your time
	Tim Palmer