Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:48:30 PDT
From:      "Neutrino Phantom" <neutrino2000@hotmail.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What tipped the balance

At 11:01 AM 7/27/98 -0700, Ludwig Pummer wrote his story

Here's the perfect chance for me to thank the guy who got me into
FreeBSD :)  Thanks, Ludwig!

A little over a year ago, I got fed up with continually complaining
about Microsoft products but never using anything else.  I didn't know
much of anything about Unix, but I'd heard of Linux and decided to try
it out.  Not knowing the first thing about attacking the problem, I
asked Ludwig (who knew a lot more, and still does) to help me out.  He
recommended that, instead of Linux, I should try FreeBSD.

I must admit, it was easier to get FreeBSD installed than Linux.  I
never installed Linux because I couldn't figure out how, but FreeBSD's
centralized system really made things easy (after Ludwig told me which
directories to download - that wasn't as obvious for a Microsoft-world
person).

Since I've been incredibly busy, as always, I haven't really progressed
that much in my knowledge of FreeBSD, and am most definitely still a
newbie. (Another contributing cause was that I never got X working on my
system - XFree86 didn't support my video chipset on either my desktop or
my laptop.)  However, what I did learn recently became very useful when
I got a summer job a Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and they
stuck me in front of a Sun.  Everybody was overjoyed when they heard
that I could actually get around in Unix, and wasn't just a
point-and-click Win95 child.

I still use Windows NT for almost everything, but I use the FreeBSD
environment exclusively when writing little programs (I'm just learning
C++).  My goal is to have the latest FreeBSD and XFree86 (hopefully
supporting my hardware by then...) set up on my laptop by the time I go
off to college in a year, and then ease myself out of the Microsoft
world.

-David Syphers
(more proof that some people new to FreeBSD are _entirely_ new to Unix
as well)