Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 20:38:45 +0100
From:      Terje Mathisen <Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountd and rpc.statd won't run

Mike Smith wrote:
> > It didn't happen on every machine which led me to believe it was probably
> > different sysinstall incantations that did it, unfortunatly I didn't have
> > time to track down exactly what those incantations were.
>
> That's called "inadmissible evidence".  Unless you can come up with
> something that categorically suggests that your testing is more valid
> than ours, I don't think you're helping.

This probably won't help either, but I had exactly the same problems
after doing a (from scratch) plain vanilla installation of 3.3-RELEASE.

Manually configuring lo0 was needed to bring it up.

This happened on an old Dell Optiplex (Pentium-133) with a 1GB IDE disk,
and a 3COM PCI ethernet card.

The same installation on a Compaq Presario (PII-300) was fine.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline